Visiting Senior Policy Fellow in Addis Ababa
The Visiting Senior Policy Fellow will liaise with AU, key African NGOs, and African Member States. He/she will also undertake research, develop analysis and formulate recommendations on issues clustered under “geopolitical Africa”. This covers issues that involve important international actors such as multilateral organisations, China and the US. In large part the focus will be Economic, tracing the development trajectory of these African countries and how major international players interact with that vision. But other areas of developing international competition such as in the provision of Security Sector assistance or Energy provision, will also feature. The objective is to map, forecast trajectories, and ultimately identify, based on these factors, areas for improved Africa/Europe partnership.
- Reporting to: Africa Programme Director
- Closing date: October 23, 2020
- Location: Berlin
- Strengthen and expand the programmes partnership and advocacy networks in Africa
- Facilitate the organisation of activities in Africa and secure the participation of relevant African stakeholders
- Contribute as appropriate to cross-cutting aspects of the African Programme including geopolitical Africa and the Africa Programme’s focus on Africa-Europe relations more generally.
- Identify and liaise with relevant external contacts and ECFR Council members. Convene and lead public and private briefings for policy makers.
- Liaise with partners in the African governments, AU, regional organisations, western diplomatic representatives, and local partners.
- Contribute to the formulation of the programmes’ strategies and work plans and help ensure its effective implementation. Contribute to forming an advocacy policy for Africa-Europe relations (from political and economic angle) and geopolitical Africa.
- Help coordinate fundraising for the programmes and share in the production of relevant materials and approaches to prospective donors, support identifying prospects for financial support.
- Undertake relevant research, write reports and policy briefs - long form but also shorter reactive publications
- Contribute to the formulation of advocacy, outreach and communications strategies as an integral part of relevant projects and ensure inclusion of national offices throughout projects.
- Coordinate, organise, and/or support as necessary relevant events such as consultations, workshops or seminars, as well as media work, mailings, travel, etc.
- Provide regular situation reports to the Africa Programme.
- Extensive and in-depth knowledge of the Africa-Europe relations, AU, African regional organisations, and economies in at least two of the following countries: South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia.
- A track-record of engaging with policy communities and civil society in Africa.
- Wide ranging government and non-government contacts across Africa: Ethiopia, South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya.
- An ability to develop innovative policy proposals and creative ways of looking at European policies towards the region and individual countries.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, the ability to devise and lead research projects, prepare detailed reports and briefing papers, setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations on EU policies towards the region.
- The ability to maintain and develop a substantial network of contacts with relevant policymakers, politicians, experts, activists and others in the region.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Media experience and the ability to present and speak in public.
- A high standard of written and spoken English, working knowledge of another language is an advantage.
- The ability to work within a team in a multi-national environment and to travel frequently.
Please note, this is a consultancy contract. The duration of the contract and payment is negotiated individually.
No phone calls please. Due to the large volume of candidates applying for to work with ECFR we will unfortunately only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE
ECFR (The European Council on Foreign Relations) is a pan-European initiative which seeks to conduct research and promote informed debate across Europe on the development of coherent, effective and values-based European foreign policy. It has offices in Berlin, London, Madrid, Paris, Rome, Sofia and Warsaw.
ECFR strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Registered Company and Charity in England and Wales. Company Reg. Number 07154609 Charity Number 1143536.